This blog will no longer be active beginning April 1, 2012. Please visit ohiobenefits.org and click Counselor Resources for all of your OBB needs.
Visit the OASHF website Register for Ohio Benefit Bank Counselor Training Part II Order Free Marketing Materials Login to The Benefit Bank with your Counselor Login Use The Benefit Bank Training Site for Extra Practice

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

My VISTA journey so far

I’m so thrilled to have this opportunity and privilege to express myself about becoming a VISTA. I first heard about AmeriCorps*VISTA from my husband. My husband served from 2006 through 2007. He would get off from his daily assignment and he would be so excited. He always had a positive story about his work site and how he was impacting the people he was helping. I felt his excitement and that’s what sparked my interest to seek positions that I may be interested in. I searched the AmeriCorps website for about a year but I didn’t have success with finding something that I felt was a fit for me. Then around April of this year I was looking for a job within a non-profit organization on Craigslist.com. That’s where I seen the position for a Community Trainer with the Ohio Association Second Harvest Foodbank with the host site being the Freestore Foodbank. I was so excited that I logged onto the AmeriCorps website and applied immediately. My VISTA assignment as an Ohio Benefit Bank Community Trainer is really bringing out the leader in me. It’s showing me how to communicate with others in many capacities, strengthening my public speaking skills, and how to schedule my time and be prepared. This is my journey so far as an AmeriCorps *VISTA and I’m sure there will be many more exciting experiences to follow.

Melvina Ann Pounds- Ohio Benefit Bank Community Trainer/Ohio Association Second Harvest Foodbank/Freestore Foodbank
August 30, 2010